Sunday, June 5, 2011

Woodhall Spa 10k

And so to Woodhall Spa for today's 10k race. I've done this run for the last 4 years. It's great. It's relaxing, great route, great atmosphere and not as many runners as Lincoln 10k. I always manage to bump into people I know at this event and this year was no different. I drove across with my adoptive 'Lincoln family'- sis, Aggi and mum, Rosemary as my support team. Aggi was supposed to be running today but has some sort of groin injury for which she needs more scans than I care to mention, so that put her firmly into the spectator area. Once there I bumped into Andrew and Chris Vaughan- father and son runners and real good mates, a variety of people I know at Lincolnshire Police as well as Lee and Priti- friends from the next village. Interestingly, there was a rumour going around that next years Lincoln 10k was increasing the amount of runners from 5000 to 7500.... I hope not as it feels too big already. That sort of decision- if correct- comes across as greedy rather than inclusive and can quite easily spoil a very good event.

Anyway, I wasn't very well prepared for this run and, to be honest, wasn't looking forward to it. I'd not run since the Lincoln 10k (3 April) as I've been constantly training on my bike. When I finally did go for a run (3 days ago) my thighs totally stiffened up. Not good! Anyway, the weather was good, so let's get on with it.

I have a number of things I do before a run (not in an OCD way) such as the night before, get kit ready with number pinned, iPod music sorted (always on shuffle or it would take hours decided on which track when etc!) chip attached to trainers  etc and on the morning, up early, a bit of brekkie, pack some bananas, water etc and most importantly a nervous poo! (gross to mention but very important as once that's out of the way I'm all set and not worrying about it. Have you used portaloos at race events!?)

1105 and the race begins (because at 1100 the wheelchair racers are set off) and, well, what can I say- it was fantastic. The first couple of K were a bit sore but as I loosened up I found a good pace and stuck with it. By 5k I felt brilliant!



I must mention here that right next to the 5k marker, a runner had collapsed. He had other runners looking after him. He was out cold and had been put in the recovery position (I could hear the ambulance coming). This guy was wearing a runners club vest. He was obviously a regular runner but it just goes to show how dangerous any sport can be and whilst I'll always encourage people to participate (over the years alot of my friends have taken up running because of me...Simon, Claire, Nigel to name a few) you have to train and do it properly.

Today, my iPod helped- there were some good tunes. Here's the list for you nosey gits out there :-)


Ok, ok stop laughing- there's some good stuff on there- you go away and have a listen!! 

And so the second half of the run flew by and before I knew it, I was on the last kilometre. I never look at my watch until I finish as I kind of have just the one pace and if I were to try and speed up, I'd... well, I just would regret it the next day. This running malarkey is all about enjoying the day- for me it's not about PB's and upping my performance. If I get a better time, great, but I'm here for fun. That is the bottom line. I don't want to be suffering all week and walking like a robot or at worse, limping!

And so, I crossed the finish line. My unofficial time on my watch was 1.00.47... just over the hour and just slower than last year (59.34)... not bad. Happy with that. So that's another event under my belt... still waiting for Lincoln Hospital to bloody well sort out their on-line donation registration. They have registered (last week ffs) with Virgin Money Giving so, just waiting on confirmation. It's taken 6 weeks of pestering (the discussion had to be made at committee level! IT'S A NO-BRAINER! you either want the fund-raisers or not! this is typical of the NHS and large businesses- it's almost as if this sort of sh*t goes to committees to justify managerial jobs- I could go on...) to get this far... nearly there so just gotta wait! ...deeeeep breath....and relax....Grrr!

Me and Rosemary at the finish

Finally, here's a link to Google Maps for the route. Not sure how accurate the info is but it gives mile splits for times etc. I switched the app on a few mins before we set off and same at the end. The app is called Cyclemeter and is pretty good as I can use it for runs, cycles etc.

I think extra running is in order for the London 10k in July and to be honest, today made me realise I've missed running, so I need to get the balance between cycling and running right.




No comments:

Post a Comment