Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Go with 2 Crows!

A bit on the late side with this post, but here it is :P

So, after months of training, little Scarlett came down south with me for the London 10K. I think this is the 5th time I've run this one. Always a pleasure and always great views and a great crowd. This year Nike had taken over from Asics as the main sponsor... this had its problems mostly cause by them insisting on runners all wearing the same running tops. According to their 'rules' this was mandatory though on the day alot of people turned up in their charity shirts- I just wish we had too as Scarlett had raised in the region of £500 for The Scoliosis Campaign Fund (SCF)- not only through people sponsoring on-line, she also organised a cake sale at school! Well done Scaz!!
Alex, my eldest, also came down to London as cheering squad and Nigel, a mate from 'round the corner, also came and ran!
30,000 people were running today and I don't think Scarlett had ever seen an event so big. With marching bands, elite runners and 100's of charities and supporters, it is a big deal and she was rather nervous to say the least.
With this event, it usually takes about 30-40 mins to cross the start line after the gun has gone. This means we can watch, on a big screen, the winners cross the finish line before we even get to the start line! 

Eventually we set off. It was raining. We'd been stood in bin liners and finally got rid of them. The rain, I might add, was nowhere near as gruesome as at Gainsborough earlier in the year- it was enough to be vaguely pleasant and it stopped once in a while too. I've been alot faster this year on my running, but today was Scarlett's day so we stayed together (lucky for me she's not faster!!!)- Great route, a cheer from our Charity as we passed them and we'd run up and down the Embankment before we knew it and heading towards Big Ben and Westminster where we stopped momentarily to say hi to Alex (photo will go here when I get it from her!)
I'd was plagued by my shoelaces... came undone 3 times which is most annoying and nearly lost Scaz on the 3rd stop but luckily found her again.
As you go passed Big Ben, there's about 1.5km to go to the finish line on Whitehall. Scarlett was beginning to struggle a little now. In the last half km and over the finish line we held hands.... We made it and not at all a bad time...1hr 3mins 35secs


So, all in all, a good days running- boy was I glad of a shower after- we were soaked, sweaty and getting cold so back to the hotel, dry out, get warm, pack and head out for lunch and train home. 
Smashin!

Soooooo, what's next.... latest update to events is:
Garmin Ride Out (if I'm offered a place this year)
The Wiggle Rut (Andy insists we have unfinished business- see previous post)

so, plenty to do... can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment