Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Speaking publicly

Now there's a turn up for the books... I've been asked to speak at a conference on Sepsis down in London: Saving Lives- Sepsis Conference, April 2013

I've been asked to set the scene for the day from a patient perspective of the impact sepsis can have and how important it is for clinicians to adhere to the guidelines on recognising and responding to sepsis. 
"If you can tell your story, including the good aspects and the areas that could have been improved for you and your family eg how was sepsis explained to you at the time, what could have helped you in you recovery etc and the impact it has had on your life since – but also remind people that for many the outcome can be much worse."
This came about because of a story published with the Sepsis Alliance
Now I've never spoken in public before- let alone to a room full of medical consultants, so it's gonna be a big ask. Luckily, some friends will be coaching me and hopefully I won't get too emotional (I always do when I talk about it) though I think doing this will do me some good. It's time these professionals realised what happens on the other side when 'survivors' leave hospital as they never find out because they have to move on to the next patient.
I think it also important to bring to their attention the 'fallout' that occurs and I don't just mean PTSD but the financial side (certainly for the self employed) such as critical illness insurance not covering, in my case, sepsis or acute pancreatitis PLUS the fact I was not taken seriously by the Financial Ombudsman.
So 2013 should be an interesting year... let's hope that works out as interesting in a good way.

No comments:

Post a Comment