Wednesday, March 2, 2016

It's been a while!

Sponsor me on Virgin Money Giving

Ok. I'm sorry. I've been a right slacker. No posts for ages but this is about to change.
There's been a number of things afoot that have brought me back to my beloved blog.
To start with, I turned 50. Has this effected me? Of course not. Ok it's a significant number and it means I'm getting old I suppose but I'll use it as an excuse to enjoy myself! It's an excuse for more bucket list bike rides and that's exactly what will be happening.

What else? Well I wasn't going to do any charity work this year but that soon changed- thank you Rick Lister! I'll be riding the London 100 in July. Usually, my charity of choice would naturally be Sepsis UK but I've decided to mix it up a bit and I looked for a charity that cares and educates about PTSD. As a lot of you will know, cycling and PTSD go hand in hand for me so it's a perfect pairing: this year ladies and gents, I'll be riding on behalf of MIND. Their info on PTSD is really useful and they support so many other mental health problems. Great work guys, glad to be part of the team.

Sponsor me on Virgin Money Giving

I'm also part of a trial steering committee for ICNARC on a project called POPPI (Provision Of Psychological support to People in Intensive Care) This is a real big deal insomuch as I hope this can make a difference to any patient coming out of ICU. If PTSD is caught early or before it sets in, it'll make all the difference. As patient representative, I sincerely hope my experiences can help. First meeting of the steering committee happened today. Somewhat daunting being surrounded by medical professionals and statisticians, but totally absorbing. Just hope I'm of use!
End of next week I've been roped in to speak at Grantham Hospital about surviving sepsis. Hopefully more about that in another post.


As for my cycling, the 'North Village Boys' are preparing to head off to tackle Flanders. This one happens first weekend of April and is about 150 miles. Setting off from Bruges, we are hoping for a tailwind before hitting the cobbled climbs as we approach Oudenaarde. A tough ride and the furthest I'll have done in one day. Prey for us!


Later in the year we're off to Northern Italy to have a crack at cycling up the Stelvio pass. This is an iconic Giro D'Italia route with 48 switchbacks and 6000ft of climbing. Should be a challenge! Though look at the photograph... how could you not have a go....it's stunning!

We'll be riding in the Gran Fondo Stelvio so there will be more than just the pass itself. I'll hasten to add, we're doing the medium route- having seen the Mortirolo and its gradients, I think that 'hill' on its own would finish me off!

 
 
Stelvio Pass

So assuming I/we survive this 'jolly' my charity ride happens at the end of July and that will be the Prudential London 100. As usual, I did not get a place in the ballot- I think it must be harder to get offered a spot that the London Marathon and so I've taken a charity place with MIND.
Why MIND?
Well, most of you know I suffer with PTSD- not as bad as it was 4 years ago but it is still there- I'll occasionally have flashbacks or bad dreams or something will trigger me off and so what do I do to try and combat this?... I ride my bike. Perfect match: a charity that raises the profile of PTSD and raise money for them by doing the thing that calms me from my flashbacks.

 Sponsor me on Virgin Money Giving

Yes, it's that link again PLUS I'm bringing back my badge I used years ago- the Go With Crow logo, so you might see that popping up on social media.
Think that is enough for now. Signing off, but as Arnie used to say in The Terminator..."I'll be back!"


No comments:

Post a Comment