Friday, March 16, 2012

A New Link

There are a number of websites and support groups that are there for people who have come into contact with sepsis. This, I guess is the nearest to a 'simple' explanation you can get for the majority of what I went through.
"what happened to you?"
"I had a gall bladder operation and it went wrong." -not technically true but if I say I had an ERCP it causes an even longer answer so the former is the easy option!
"Blimey mate what happened?"
"I got sepsis, nearly died and ended up in intensive care for 6 weeks, 4 operations and another 4 weeks on a ward. I'm not too bad now."
"F**k." - at this point the conversation either comes to a halt as people are embarrassed or they want the full works. It's the easiest way of describing it. Occasionally I'll lay it on with a trowel just to see a reaction (but only if I'm feeling mean!!)
So I joined a few sepsis groups as there aren't any pancreatitis or "my gall bladder/ERCP op went wrong" groups. Some good info out there. Interesting, not very much in the UK.
Sepsis Alliance is quite a good one with some great people and solid info. The most interesting part is reading other people's stories. Some great boys and girls out there willing to spread the word. Go and have a look. Marijke Vroomen Durning is one of the people looking after the site. Great job you guys and thanks for including my story on there. I'm humbled to be included amongst such fabulous individuals and families.
If there are any sites out there that want links, contact me and I'll write you into my blog

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Phil for the shout out for SA. You are lucky to be alive young man and your drive will inspire others to go for the gusto!
    carl, SA founder
    Thanks for spreading the word about sepsis, Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carl. Flattered you took time out to read my story. If anything I have done inspires just one person to fight it, I'll be happy. Anything for the cause!

      Delete