Monday, March 19, 2012

Well, that wasn't expected!



Way way back in August last year Lynn, a lovely friend of mine (used to be the number cruncher for the Drill Hall) decided to nominate me to be an Olympic torchbearer.


Me? Why? Well apparently I'm inspirational. Personally I couldn't see it and still can't but I was chuffed to be asked so I said yes and left her to it. I think she needed the usual DoB, address etc.


Bugger me, I got through and an email turns up telling me I've been nominated and given a conditional offer. With an average of 14 valid nominations for every one place available, that is actually, quite a thing!


Quoting from their website:


"The 12 selection panels will be made up of representatives from the local culture, sport, voluntary, education, youth and local government sectors, and will review the nominations between 3 – 14 October 2011.
Successful nominees will be contacted with a conditional offer in December, with Torchbearer places confirmed in February 2012.
Sebastian Coe, Chair of LOCOG, said: ‘We are thrilled with the response we have had to the LOCOG Torchbearer nomination programme and would like to thank everyone who took the time to put friends, colleagues or family members forward for consideration for one of the 2,012 Torchbearer places on offer.
‘With the selection panels set to review an average of 14 nominations for every one available LOCOG Torchbearer place, difficult decisions will need to be taken. However, we should be proud so many inspiring people have been put forward to carry the Olympic Flame next summer and receive recognition for their achievements.’"

During this time, I've not been allowed to tell anyone. (well, I said to a couple of trusted people like you do!) until now. I've had to do security questionnaires and fill out forms for 'uniforms' and allsorts. In fact, the only thing I'm worried about is the uniform. You see I have a bloody big ribcage and skinny legs, so I've had to order XL to fit my top half but I only need M/L for trousers! Knowing my luck they will fall down whilst running! I'm gonna have to contact LOCOG and sort it!!
Anyway my confirmation letter came and my slot- for whatever reason- is in..... Immingham! Don't ask, I have no idea why Immingham but there you go: there are a number of people carrying the torch who's hometown is Lincoln and yet they are carrying in different areas. The Immingham relay consists of only 7 runners and none are from Immingham! (2 Lincoln, 2 Gainsborough, 1 Horley, 1 Cleethorpes and 1 from Newcastle Upon Tyne!!!) Date is 26 June with an approximate time of 1641. It's funny, cos the email says get friends and family to line the streets... who the f**k wants to go to Immingham! hahahaha looks like I'll be billy-no-mates on this one. Not to worry eh- not many people can say they have carried the Olympic flame.
Proud... you bet!






It bugs me though. I don't really know what I have done to deserve this. I've seen other torch nominees and they have achieved some amazing things. Me? I'm honestly not being awkward but I really have no idea why. If it is to do with me being ill and getting back on my bike raising money for ICU then, actually, I still don't get it. I did all that because I needed to. For me. To help me get over everything that happened. I still need to run and ride. It really is now part of me and a part of me I like and enjoy in the same way I love and enjoy my family and friends. Priorities I reckon. It's all about priorities.



No comments:

Post a Comment