Saturday, March 30, 2013

If you can dodge death, you can dodge a ball!

After a very traumatic week of worry and stress, my hernia operation has been and gone. Today is Good Friday and it is a Good Friday. It's now 2 days since the operation and I'm alive! Sore. But alive.
So let's go through all this. We got to Nottingham City Hospital for 0730 on the 27th. Fairly easy to find and at that time, easy to park too so that was a bonus. Totally bonkers nurse on the desk made me feel very welcome and within 10 mins I was led through to get ready. Myself and another chap (nice bloke, retired IT consultant) headed for the changing rooms to don our gowns and paper pants (nice!) then through to the male waiting area. We compared operations. This other bloke was in for gall bladder. I didn't dare say anything to him about my previous. I know it's a different hospital but he was probably nervous enough!

I was then called through to meet the anaesthetist:
"have you read my previous notes from Lincoln?" says I.
"no, would you like to tell me..." she flicks through the smaller pile of notes to find some info....."you've had a.....and a..... good grief you're lucky to be alive! Lincoln is not *coughs* a good hospital. Fantastic ICU but otherwise.....hmm, yes..."
and so we had a chat about the fabulous ICU and who we knew.

It turns out I'm to be 'done' at about 1030. Well, that slipped in typical hospital style and I ended up being last of the morning lot, the gall bladder chap went through at about 1100 and I was called in at 1215 by Mr Ubhi himself. Real nice bloke. Very chatty, went out of his way to talk to me. Before I knew it I was in the theatre with the anaesthetist slapping a vein up!
"veins are not very good Phil"
"tell that to my wife. She's a flabotomist!! Am I supposed to be feeling woozy......zzzzzzzzz"
And that was it. Out. Next thing I know I'm on the ward in a body hugger(?) as my temperature is a bit low. It was over. Everything went as planned. THANK GOD FOR THAT!

"we'll check your temp etc and hopefully get you off home....ooo your pulse is a bit low" (the machine that does HR and blood pressure kept setting off an alarm)
"what, about 50 ish... That's normal for me."
"oh, is you afletic then?" (honest, that is what she said!!)
"well, I do a bit of cycling if that's what you mean." "fine, you're fit to go. I'll check with the anaesthetist and get your medicines. Is your wife about? I'll go fetch her for you while you get dressed."

Meanwhile the second of the 'afternoon boys' gets wheel in from his op... The first chap was already back from his knee operation and now the next one was back... He'd told us he'd got a hernia in one of his testicles..."swelled up to this big" (I'll leave that bit to your imagination!)- he was still under and looked a bit pale. Not really surprising eh?!

And so we were all done. Helen brought the car round and we set off into the Nottingham rush hour traffic.

Since being home all sorts of things have gone through my head. I'm glad to say most of it positive, brought on by a positive experience at the hospital I assume. The pain is not good and I'm struggling but that is to be expected. The anaesthetic has pretty much worn off- that was making me really groggy. I guess the worst bit now is having to stop myself doing stuff and relying on the others. I've probably said it before but I'm not so good at sitting about. Looks like I shall have to force myself because I need this to heal correctly and strongly. The one thing I feel was missing from Nottingham was any advice about the dos and don'ts now I am out. What can I do now? What can I do in a week? Is there anything I should be doing to help the healing process apart from rest? Even if it was someone simply saying do nowt for 10 days then do lots of walking... That would be of use because I'd have a target. Anyway, for now I'm happy enough shuffling about getting in the way. Already missing my bike especially cos the weathers picked up a bit but the worst bit.... Well the worst bit is..... I've not had a poo for 3 days and I'm scared of straining against my new stitches!

So, next stop for me on this blog? That'll be the sepsis convention down that London. It's all written up...I'll keep you posted.

ADDENDUM:
Ok so today, Saturday I've overdone it. There. I've admitted it. I'm stupid. I woke at 6- couldn't get back to sleep and so I've been shuffling round the house ever since. It's now 2130 and I'm feverish, tired, dizzy, tummy hurts :(
Helen has properly told me off... Not taking my meds regularly (morning and night is regular isn't it?) not having a lie down and generally getting in the way. Ok so I decided to sort out the DVDs today (like you do) maybe that wasn't the best thing to do.
So beginning tonight I'm doing as my nursey wife tells me. Tomorrow should be easy as its the Tour of Flanders....5 hrs of cycling on the telly. YAY!
I'm hoping my kids will be doing the Sunday roast, so all bases are covered.
To be completely honest this recuperating is really boring. I've been so bored today. Bored, bored, bored. Must try and behave ;-)

the bruising since this was taken is horrendous!

No comments:

Post a Comment